Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dressers

 I did this project a week ago and I am finally getting something posted!!  We have all miss match, free, garage sale dressers.  We knew we needed one 'new' dresser for our boys and I have been wanting 'matching' dressers for our room for the last 8 years!  After doing some pricing and not wanting to spend the money on new dressers I decided to take an idea that I pinned and paint two of the dressers black and antique them.  These I would put in our bedroom.  Then I saw this pin and thought it would be Perfect in Maddy's room!  So the three dressers that we had I was ready to paint!!


 
This is what they looked like before....above is the drawers for the tall dresser and that was for Eli.  I did chalk paint on the drawers for labels (more for my husband than Eli!!)  But it was time for a change. 

Below is the really cheap dresser that I had when I was in HIGH SCHOOL!!!  I won't tell you how long ago that was!  It is just a particle board dresser. 


 I sanded everything down to rough it up....and then put primer on all of it.







Ok, now that that part is done I waited, played with the kids, ate lunch...waited and then started painting!!

So here are the first coats of black paint: 






Lots of pictures, I know....It was such a nice day out!

So next step was to wait again....and wait and wait...and then when it is dry I took a sanding block and sanded it down again.  After cleaning it off I put coat number two of black paint on!



It is starting to look better!!  At this point It was getting later in the day and I let these coats dry over night.  The next day I was ready to start sanding!  So I sanded around the edges of the drawers and other spots that I wanted to look antiqued.  I sanded it down to the bare wood.  I used a stain pen then to give the wood a finished look.



Seriously, it was so nice out....March in Minnesota is not like this....so that is why everything got moved out of the garage to dry and be worked on!

Next step was to polish it up...I used a finishing paste to give it a shiny look. 
So after all of that we moved them into the bedroom and we now have MATCHING dressers!! 

I would really like to show you a finished picture but I keep forgetting and when I remember my little man is sleeping in there!  I also still need to spray paint the handles so they all match.  BUT I am almost done and I WILL HAVE A FINISHED PICTURE SOON!


Oh I almost forgot.  Here are the pics from my little Maddy's dresser.  I painted the main part white and then I started by painting the bottom drawer the pink color that I bought and then I kept adding white paint to get the lighter colors!



Yep, we still need to get new hardware on this dresser but it fits her room so well!! 

So there, a LONG post but 3 beautiful 'new' dressers!

No comments:

Post a Comment