Thursday, March 15, 2012

Vintage metal letters....made from cardboard and tin foil

I have seen a few different versions of this floating around pinterest and wanted to do it.  I didn't want to spend money on 3D letters (I'm that cheap) so while I love the look of THESE I wanted to use stuff I already had around the house.  Then I saw this PIN and thought...I can do that!

So here is what we did:

Cardboard (got it from Sam's club...used from all the boxes that my kids played in)
Tin foil (heavy duty)
I used Spray paint


I printed my letters out on the computer and then traced onto the cardboard to get....


....this, not too bad!


Then I started to put the tin foil on.  With my smaller letters I first put it around the edges and then the front.  In the tutorial it says to mod podge....not sure why....but I did it anyway.  I think I would put it on the bottom and top to keep tin foil in place if I do it again.


Here is the letters after they are covered

Then after the mod podge dried I spray painted with the same metallic paint that I had used on Making the old new.  This paint dries REALLY fast!  Right away I took an old rag and started to rub some of the paint off so the tin foil showed through.  It looked especially cool with the wrinkles. 


So here is the finished product.  I had a few problems along the way....like the tinfoil not staying down; but that is why I recommend securing it down before you paint!  The pictures are not the best but I will try to get some better ones up and Janelle will post a picture of how hers turned out too!!

Oh and I am going to put these on a wall with 3 pictures of my kids because there is much JOY in doing His will for my life!!

Thanks for reading and have fun trying it out yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment