Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Update Your Old Flour and Sugar Canisters

I am a little bit obsessed with chalkboard paint these days!  I used to throw away EVERYTHING...In fact, I am the opposite of a pack rat, I throw away too much stuff.  But since I discovered Pinterest, and all the uses for spray paint and chalkboard paint, suddenly I am seeing the potential in everything from an old Folgers container to my Snapple bottle :)  It seems everything can be re-made using either spray paint and/or chalkboard paint!
Anyway, I was getting a little tired of my old, plain IKEA flour and sugar canisters, so I tried this idea:  Tape off a square, paint with chalkboard paint.  Let dry.  Apply another coat.  Remove tape, and you have this:
BEFORE:
 AFTER:

2 comments:

  1. I love chalkboard paint too!! I painted the backside of the cabinets (that would be on the bar/sitting side) with chalkboard paint. It's where Tyler learned how to write his name. =)
    I had an extra plain white canvas that I covered with the paint, and change out quotes. I did it inside the pantry cabinet for the grocery store list and an "uplifting" quote. Another cheap idea if you want the oil rubbed bronze look-they have it in spray paint. I have the same "flour" canister you have, but i sprayed the lid in ORB, and love it! I've since done all our kitchen knobs and a few light fixtures that used to be brushed nickle finish. Saved tons of money! Keep up the good work, I love seeing the things you've done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow shannon, you should be doing a blog like this! Thanks for the idea of the oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I'm going to look for it.

      Delete